Saturday, October 25, 2008

Ouch!

I woke up at 6am today with excruciating pain in my abdomen.  I didn't know if I drank too much last night and my liver exploded, if I was gassy, if I had slept weird and tweaked a muscle....Whatever it was it hurt a LOT.  I tried everything I could think of for about an hour or so with little effect.  I tried going for a walk, lying in a different bed, took some advil (but mainly for the alcohol headache) etc.  I tried taking a shower, but nothing was working.  Finally I called 911 and got an ambulance to the hospital.

The nurses and doctor in the ER were able to very quickly diagnose that I had a kidney stone.  This, ladies and gentlemen, is one if not the most painful things i've ever felt.  The cause of kidney stones is largely dehydration so they kept me at the hospital with an IV drip on.  I ended up getting three liters of solution.  They told me there's nothing to do for it but have lots of fluid and take medicine for the pain.  While I was there they gave me a shot of medicine I don't remember the name of, 2 shots of morphine and a percocet before I left as well as a prescription for percocet.

It also turns out that I don't have any insurance right now.  I assumed I was going to get my BU insurance because I'm still a student here but I don't have it.  I'm not sure what the bill's going to be but I'm guessing it won't be cheap.  Although, they did give me more drugs than I think I need and this one's got a high street value.  So maybe I'll peddle the extras to pay the hospital.  Ironic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude!! I hope you're feeling ok. The insurance bit is messed up, you should have someone check into that. Doesn't seem right :(

Feel better.

cheryl63 said...

Dave sends his sympathies as he knows full well what this is like having passed a stone last year. I think you might just be unlucky and you are right in that you will have more :(.