Monday, December 15, 2008

Finished!

Phew!!  I just finished printing my masters thesis: A new method for high-precision microsampling and Sm/Nd dating of zoned garnets.  Clocked in at 229 pages all told.  And now I'm sleepy.  Printing this was the final task in completing my degree.  I am now finished with my masters but still need to spend the next few days getting my papers submitted to the journals.
The 6 piles of paper in this photo represent the last 2.5 years of my life.  It's been a long twisty journey, but it's been absolutely worth it.

I feel thrilled.  Grad school has been a life changing experience for me.  I have met some great people including my amazing girlfriend.  I've learned an enormous amount about the particular science I've been working on, but also about research in general, what's important in life, and how to accomplish tasks and not lose sight of the broad goals (most of the time).  I know now that this science gig is what I want to do with my life.  I've been so lucky that my work has actually panned out the way we were hoping it would.  I know that this isn't necessarily the norm in science but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I couldn't have asked for a better advisor than Ethan.  He has truly been an inspiration and support to me.  He knows when to push me and when to let me figure things out for myself.  We have a fantastic working relationship that I hope will continue to grow in the future.  I'm proud to call him my mentor and my friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is one lot of paper! I thought that printing out 30 pages was a lot of work! Congrats on making it to the end!